Thursday, Jan 28

Last update01:11:22 PM EST

You are here: FAQ Civil Process Unit FAQ

Civil Process Unit FAQ

Where do I go for a PPO?

Coleman A. Young Municipal Center (formerly known as City County Building), Two Woodward Avenue, Room 928, Detroit, MI  48226.


Where/When/Time of the Mortgage Foreclosure Sale?

Coleman A. Young Municipal Center, Two Woodward Ave., 13th Floor Auditorium on Thursdays at 11:00 a.m.  For information call 313-224-2260. 


Where is the office located?

Coleman A. Young Municipal Center (formerly known as City County Building), Two Woodward Avenue, Room 1711 (County Courts Side), Detroit, MI  48226.  Hours are: 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.  No credit cards are accepted for any payments.


Where can I obtain a list of the Mortgage Foreclosure Sale?

Sales are published each week in the Detroit Legal News.  No lists are provided in the Court Services Division.


How do I pay for property that I have successfully bid on to purchase?

At the start of the Auction, the Auctioneer will announce the Attorney's name who is assigning the auction of that property, the city where it is located, the street address and the dollar amount of the starting bid.

After all of the properties are read, you will have a set period time (1 hour or less) to go to a nearby bank and purchase a cashier's check in the proper amount(s) needed.  You must have a cashier's check in the exact opening bid amount for the property you wish to bid on.  You will also need additional cashiers checks and enough cash in small increments to cover the amount(s) of your bid.  Exact payment is required (no credit cards will be accepted).  No cash is refunded if your cashier's check(s) exceed the amount needed once the auction has ended. The deed to the property will then be available roughly two weeks or so after purchase. 

Who can I speak to regarding the foreclosure of my home and sale date?

Contact your mortgage company for specific details of the foreclosure.


How can I obtain a copy of my Wayne County Sheriff's Deed?

Wayne County Sheriff's Deeds are available for purchase through the Wayne County Register of Deeds Office.


What is the redemption period if my home is sold at the Sheriff's Mortgage Foreclosure Sale?

The average redemption period is typically six months (though time frames may vary).


After the redemption period has passed, when do I have to move?

You will need to consult with the new owner of the property listed on the Sheriff’s Deed.


Does the Wayne County Sheriff's Office handle the eviction?

The Wayne County Sheriff's Office does not handle the eviction.  Evictions are handled through the district courts where the property is located.


How much did my house sale for?

The sale price of the property should be available at the Wayne County Register of Deeds Office at least 25 days after the sale is held.


Who should I contact if my home was sold for Foreclosure of Taxes?

Contact the Wayne County Treasurer at (313) 224-5990.


What is the cost for serving papers?

Costs for service are set by statute and prices vary depending on what is required.  In most (not all) cases, the base fee for service to an individual is $26.00 plus mileage to that address (mileage is pro-rated by zip code).  Please contact (313) 224-2260 for an accurate quote of fees.  It is vital that you provide the exact address for successful service.  Also, please consult with the Court Services Staff to ensure you are allowing an adequate time frame for proper service prior to any scheduled court activity. 


How many attempts will the officer make to serve the papers?

The officer makes three (3) attempts to the address provided. 


Will I receive documentation if the documents were served or not?

Proof of Service will be mailed to you.  If the officer is unable to serve the papers, paperwork will be returned to you explaining why.


Will I receive a refund if the officer is unable to serve the paperwork?

Once the officer makes an attempt to serve the paperwork, no money is refunded. For additional questions or concerns, you may contact the office at (313) 224-2260.


What is the cost of service a Bench Warrant?

A deposit of $150.00 is required.  If the actual costs amount to less, a refund of the difference will be issued.


How many attempts will the officer(s) make to serve the Bench Warrant?

It varies.  Please contact the office at (313) 224-2260 for further information.


What should I do if my PPO has been violated?

Call 9-1-1 immediately if there is an emergency.  You will also want to contact the Wayne County Clerks Office at (313) 224-6293 to file a Motion.


What are Court Services office hours?

8:00 a.m. until 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.


Is there a fee for service?

Yes, the State of Michigan establishes the fee schedule.  In addition, there is a mileage fee of $1.73 per mile for each civil paper served.


What are the service fees?

A copy of the fees for service can be obtained in the Civil Process Office located at Coleman A. Young Municipal Center, Two Woodward Avenue, Room 1711, Detroit, MI  48226.


end faq