Wednesday, Sep 26

Last update06:31:08 PM EST

You are here: Home
  • 1.jpg
  • 10.jpg
  • 11.jpg
  • 12.jpg
  • 13.jpg
  • 14.jpg
  • 15.jpg
  • 2.jpg
  • 3.jpg
  • 4.jpg
  • 5.jpg
  • 6.jpg
  • 7.jpg
  • 8.jpg
  • 9.jpg
Welcome to SheriffConnect

Thanks to a coordinated effort between the Wayne County Sheriff's Office, Wayne County Chief Executive Office, Wayne County Department of Technology and New World Systems (now Tyler Technologies New World Public Safety), we will soon implement new Jail Management System software.  JMS is designed to help facilitate jail operations and inmate management.  This new system will replace the current inmate management software that has been in place since 1999.  This project is the largest IT implementation in the County since we went live with the current system.  It offers interfaces and integrated technology that are impossible with our current system.  As the Sheriff's personnel becomes accustomed to the new software, this system will increase the efficiency of jail operations, reporting capabilities and reduce liability.  I know what you're thinking, how does this affect me? read more

Joined at the US Attorney's Office in Detroit, MI, US Attorney, Matthew Schneider led the announcement on the consequences that will take place when a person threatens a school. Schneider was joined by six county sheriffs, including Wayne County's Benny Napoleon, Detroit Police Chief James Craig, Michigan State Police, the Michigan Attorney General, the FBI, Homeland Security, the DEA, Secret Service and more.

"When you make a threat, this will change your life forever," said Schneider. 

These students face charges that vary from making bomb threats to making false reports of terrorism, many facing 20-year felonies. One suspect was initially given a $10 million bond. Authorities are also looking at passing along the cost of closing the school onto the family of the accused.

Schneider said, "We will find out who you are and you will be humiliated and embarrassed because you’re the person who caused the school to be shut down." 

Macomb County Prosecutor Eric Smith said his county has been especially hit hard by school threats in the wake of a mass shooting earlier this year in Parkland, FL. 

Smith said 51 people in Macomb County have been charged with making a false threat of terrorism since the shooting in Florida that killed 17 people and wounded 17 more on February 14.

"Normally through the course of a school year we get about 17 charges of false threat or threats of terrorism. Through a nine-month school year it's basically two every month, just under two a month," said Smith. "Since Parkland, which has been seven weeks or so, we have charged 51 defendants with false threat of terrorism. That's 40 juveniles and 11 adults. When I say adults, these are 17-year-old high school seniors who are charged as adults." This is more than the average amount of such charges issued by Smith’s office during the course of a school year. 

Officials have been calling on parents to become more involved in their children's social media.  Macomb County Sheriff Anthony Wickersham said he has seen better cooperation from parents in some of his department's investigations.

"Sometimes they say, "'Oh not my boy,' or 'Not my girl,' ... but now it looks like parents are finally getting it," he said. 

Those who cause threats are not aware of the severity and cost it takes to send a team out, including helicopters, to investigate the potential threat.

"What we're really looking for is to figure out a way to reimburse the taxpayer for a threat that is communicated to the school district," said Oakland County's Chief Asst. Prosecutor, Paul Walton. "I think part of it is an issue of parenting. We go out to area schools all the time; we talk to first the students and we also talk to the parents. And the parents don't seem to often times want to attend or, I guess, there's a feeling it's "not going to be my son or daughter" until the police show up at the doorstep with search warrants." The parents of these students have been cooperative and have been willing to give their guns to authorities.

Schneider said schools will be given a presentation about the consequences of making such threats.  Schools are able to contact local authorities on how to join the list of visiting schools so that this presentation may be administered to parents, students, staff and faculty.

Writer: Dir. Pageant B. Atterberry

 

Thursday, 29 March 2018 15:54

Plans for Safer Schools Unveiled

With a push for safe schools, students across the United States have not only organized walkouts, but Saturday the March for Our Lives brought out hundreds of thousands of young people protesting school shootings and advocating for an increase in school safety.  The movement came after a series of school shootings with Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, in Parkland, Florida, being the most recent in headline news where 17 students were gunned down by 19 year-old, Nikolas Cruz.

In March, a coalition comprised of Michigan’s top law enforcement and education groups met at a local school to unveil their proposals for preventing violence in the classroom.

“School shootings and bomb threats dominate the headlines.  Violence is followed by mourning, outrage, and calls for reform – before the cycle repeats itself, without any meaningful change,” said Ingham County Sheriff Scott Wrigglesworth. “Michigan law enforcement and Michigan school leaders agree – enough is enough.  It’s time for change.”

The plan calls for a new $100 million grant program for personnel, and a $20 million grant program for safety infrastructure, and other reforms, including:

  • More school resource officers—sheriffs and police—working in school facilities through a new state grant program
  • More school mental health professionals to identify problems early through the same new state grant program
  • Grants to ensure safer buildings for students and teachers 
  • Mandatory reporting of threats and graduated penalties to help prevent violence.

The Michigan Student Safety Reform Plan gives school districts access to funding to hire additional school mental health professionals increasing the ratio of mental health professionals to students in districts statewide.

 “Putting more sheriffs and police on school property and in school buildings will keep our children safe – and prevent tragedies before they happen,” said Michael Rochholz, President of the Michigan Association of School Boards.  “We also need to increase the ratio of school mental health professionals to help assist with early intervention.”

Lansing Public Schools Superintendent Yvonne Caamal Canul added, “We know many shooters often show signs of trouble, long before an attack— and school mental health professionals are the first line of defense.” 

Currently, Michigans ratio is 1 psychologist to every 4,800 students, rather than the ideal 1 for every 1,000 students. Though school social workers are recommended at a ratio of 1 for every 500 students, in Michigan, districts are often at 1,000 to 1, or worse.  Also, school counselors are recommended at a level of 1 for every 250 students - Michigan’s ratio is roughly 1 to 750.

The bipartisanship of these plans also requires a walk through by law enforcement officers of every school building in the state and calls for a mandatory reporting of threats against schools to law enforcement.

Tuscola County Prosecuting Attorney, Mark Reene, ended the meeting saying, “Nothing in this proposal is controversial.  Nothing here is divisive.  These are common sense, bipartisan solutions to a very real crisis, and we look forward to working with the legislature to make them a reality very soon.”

The Michigan School Safety Reform Plan is backed by:

  • Michigan Sheriffs Association
  • Michigan Association of School Administrators
  • Michigan Association of School Boards
  • Michigan Association of School Psychologists
  • Michigan Association of School Social Workers
  • Michigan School Counselors Association
  • Michigan Association of Chiefs of Police
  • Prosecuting Attorneys Association of Michigan

Writer: Dir. Pageant B. Atterberry

Friday, March 23, 2018, men and women from the WCSO participated in First Responder's Recognition night at the Little Caesar’s Arena.

The men played a great game in basketball and placed 3rd in the 
"First Responders 4 Fitness Midwest Battle of the Badges" tournament, while the women won 1st place in the women’s tug of war against MDOC (Michigan Department of Corrections).

Great times in Wayne County! And Great job to the first responders who participated and to our officers of WCSO!

We've accomplished the kickoff of our "Elder Abuse Prevention" Workshop, and with the second session looking to be promising, we would like to hear your thoughts on a 3rd!

The workshops go over what to look for in churches and in the community to be able to identify elder abuse. If you would like more information or are interested in joining a possible 3rd session, please contact Dir. Daralene Nero This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Thursday, March 22, 2018 Commander Lynnette Cain and Captain Patricia Roberson were live in studio at 910AM Superstation on the show, "Mind Your Business," with host Charlene Mitchell-Rodgers.  The Wayne County Sheriff's Officers were invited in celebration of Women's History Month, and this week was about the history of women in law enforcement.  Commander Cain and Captain Roberson spoke on their history with the WCSO, how many women current work for the office and that more are needed and welcomed.

Mitchell's show airs every Thursday from 9PM - 11PM on 910 AM, where she covers the latest news in politics, media, organizations, and even our local communities.  

 

 

Holt, MI—  A coalition comprised of Michigan’s top law enforcement and education groups met at a local school today to unveil their proposals for preventing violence in the classroom.

The Michigan School Safety Reform Plan is based on clear, actionable strategies that are both effective and immediately achievable.

“School shootings and bomb threats dominate the headlines.  Violence is followed by mourning, outrage, and calls for reform – before the cycle repeats itself, without any meaningful change,” said Ingham County Sheriff Scott Wrigglesworth. “Michigan law enforcement and Michigan school leaders agree – enough is enough.  It’s time for change.”

The plan calls for a new $100 million grant program for personnel, a $20 million grant program for safety infrastructure, and other reforms, including:

  • More school resource officers—sheriffs and police—working in school facilities through a new state grant program;
  • More school mental health professionals to identify problems early through the same new state grant program;
  • Grants to ensure safer buildings for students and teachers; and
  • Mandatory reporting of threats and graduated penalties to help prevent violence.

“Putting more sheriffs and police on school property and in school buildings will keep our children safe – and prevent tragedies before they happen,” said Michael Rochholz, President of the Michigan Association of School Boards.  “We also need to increase the ratio of school mental health professionals to help assist with early intervention.”

Said Lansing Public Schools Superintendent Yvonne Caamal Canul: “We know many shooters often show signs of trouble, long before an attack— and school mental health professionals are the first line of defense.” 

Currently, Michigan’s student to school counselor ratio is roughly 750 to 1.  School social workers are at 1,000 to 1.  School psychologists are roughly 4,800 to 1.  All ratios are well below recommended levels.

“Once adequate personnel are in place, we also need to look at the school facilities themselves,” said St. Clair County Sheriff Tim Donnellon. “We believe it is important to have law enforcement walk through each building at least once a year, so we can identify safety risks and support schools in addressing security issues.”

The plan also calls for improved reporting of school safety threats.

“Our schools have experienced a significant increase in the number of school threats”, said Mark Reene, Tuscola County Prosecuting Attorney and Past President of the Prosecuting Attorneys Association of Michigan.  “Prosecutors are committed to protecting students, teachers, administrators and the communities that support them. There are very serious consequences for making any type of threat. Whether it requires punitive sanctions or mental health services, this proposal will give the needed tools to help us all address these threats and help keep schools safe."

The Michigan School Safety Reform Plan is backed by:

  • Michigan Sheriffs Association
  • Michigan Association of School Administrators
  • Michigan Association of School Boards
  • Michigan Association of School Psychologists
  • Michigan Association of School Social Workers
  • Michigan School Counselors Association
  • Michigan Association of Chiefs of Police
  • Prosecuting Attorneys Association of Michigan

On March 16, 2018- Mike Jaafar, Chief of Operations of the Wayne County Sheriff’s Office graduated from the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s National Academy (FBINA Session-271).

The FBI National Academy is a professional course of study for U.S. and international law enforcement managers nominated by their agency heads due to having demonstrated leadership qualities. The ten-week program provides coursework in physical fitness, intelligence theory, terrorism and terrorist mindsets, management science, law enforcement leadership, behavioral science, law enforcement communication, and forensic science.

The academy serves to improve the administration of justice in police departments and agencies at home and abroad, and to raise law enforcement standards, knowledge, and cooperation worldwide.

Only the top 1% percent of all enforcement leaders worldwide have the opportunity to graduate from the FBI National Academy. Chief Jaafar follows in Sheriff Napoleon’s footsteps, who is also a graduate of the FBINA.

“This was the most memorable law enforcement training I have ever experienced in life; I will forever cherish this opportunity. The comradery, network, and people involved have become like family – I met people from all over the world.  It was priceless,” said Chief Jaafar, 43, and father of five.

Chief Jaafar was highly successful, earning the prestigious Yellow Brick for successfully completing the running obstacle course designed by Marines. The course is a 6.2 mile journey that includes a running obstacle trail through the woods of Quantico, where he ran a mile in seven minutes, and four seconds, in addition to earning the Bike Brick and Rowing Brick awards for the physical challenges.

Chief Jaafar says, “The curriculum and agility is second to none. I thank Detroit FBI and Sheriff Benny Napoleon for the opportunity.”

Completion of this prestigious national program will benefit the Sheriff’s Office and help continue to provide our citizens with excellent law enforcement.

Former Deputy Chief, Mike Jaafar has been in law enforcement for 24 years, and was promoted to Chief of Operations in October of 2016.

Tuesday, 13 March 2018 16:37

FREE Swim Lessons!

Hello All! We are looking for swim instructors to teach the youth how to swim (Ages 6-17). Also, if you're interested in becoming an instructor or would like to sign your child up, contact Director Atterberry 313-354-5223 or email This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Page 4 of 11